Monday, August 15, 2011

Real Talk

Over 3 years ago, Gabe and I got engaged. Almost immediately, I started to plan our wedding. Gabe had 5 requests. That the guys wear trajes. The mariachi suits. We have a church wedding. Good food. His friends HAD to be in the wedding. Lastly, we have the mariachis play. All were easy. I was all about those things too. We were on the same page.

Like every other woman, I've been planning my wedding, since I was 4 years old. I knew every detail that I wanted. How I wanted everything to play out. I just knew what I wanted. I found my dream dress, saved tons of money for it, and bought my favorite wedding dress.

Gabe and I had a special dinner, and we invited all of our friends, to be in our wedding. We asked 4 very special people, to be our Maid of Honor, Matron of Honor, and Best Men. Gabe told the mariachi our wedding date. So they wouldn't be working.

There was all the pre-cana, booking the church, booking the ballrooms. Creating a menu. Picking out invitations. We picked out everything. Ordered it all. Planned the perfect wedding. Yes, Gabe and I were ready. Fall 2010 couldn't come quick enough.

Then, my world was shaken. I almost lost my dad. Suddenly, that perfect dress didn't matter. I didn't care if there were yellow cocktails, and the perfect cake. The bridal shower didn't matter. None of it was important. The only thing that mattered, was my dad getting better.

Gabe stood next to me. He supported me. Gave me strength when I needed it most. I left my job, to help take care of my dad. Gabe worked for both of us. He provided. He was my strength. Gabe was everything I needed. He took care of me. Let me cry. Gabe told me that everything was going to be OK. To have faith in him.

We tried again, to reschedule everything. But something just wasn't right. And then, I got the idea. Why not make it a destination wedding? But with a lot of meaning. With the people we love. The mariachi always goes to Las Vegas in September. It's not that far from our home.

We booked the perfect chapel. We convinced our priest to travel with us. All of our friends were already going to be there. Perfection! Our families and friends found good travel deals. Yes, we have planned everything. Maybe it's not what we had originally planned. But it's perfect. Life changes. We change. Change is not always bad. Yes, change can be very good.

No comments: